CAS Fellowship for Postdoctoral and Visiting Scholars from Developing Countries
The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) Fellowship for Postdoctoral and Visiting Scholars from Developing Countries Programme is designed to enhance scientific cooperation between CAS-affiliated research institutions (Please see:www.ustc.edu.cn/ for USTC, and english.ucas.ac.cn/Pages/default.aspx for UCAS) and academic institutions in developing countries, enabling awardees to participate in the scientific research programs of the CAS-affiliated institutions or to conduct collaborative research projects agreed upon by a host institution of CAS.
The Fellowship Programme includes two categories:
• Category A: Short-term Visiting Scholarship, tenable for 3-6 months, and
• Category B: Post-doctoral Fellowship, tenable for 2 years.
For Short-term Visiting Scholarship (Category A)
CAS will provide a monthly stipend of RMB 22,000 (pre-tax), which covers all living costs, such as accommodation, food, local transportation and health insurance in China.
For Post-doctoral Fellowship (Category B)
CAS will provide a yearly stipend of RMB 150,000 (pre-tax), covering all living costs, such as accommodation, food, local transportation and health insurance in China.
In addition, an economy-class round-trip international airfare (RMB 15,000 at the maximum) following the most direct route between the airport nearest to the awardee’s residence and that nearest to the host institution will be provided by the Programme through the host institution.
Applicants for Postdoctoral Fellowship (Category B) must meet the following criteria:
• be nationals of a developing country (other than China);
• hold a PhD degree in a field of natural sciences;
• provide evidence of proficiency in English or Chinese;
• have worked out a research proposal accepted by a research professor (or associate professor) at a CAS-affiliated institution who agrees to be the host;
• Be strongly recommended by the host institution;
• Agreeing to abide by the laws of the People’s Republic of China and the rules & regulations of the host institution
Applicants for Short-term Visiting Scholarship (Category A) must meet all of the above-mentioned criteria and, in the meantime, hold a regular research assignment with at least five years of postdoctoral research experience.
There are two approaches to submitting applications for the Fellowship:
• by a CAS-affiliated institution as the host of the applicant, or
• by an international strategic partner institution which has been identified by the Bureau of International Cooperation, CAS.
Application Forms (see Attachment) must be completed and submitted in duplicates in English, along with a completed Recommendation Form completed, signed and sealed by the host institution of CAS) or a recommendation letter signed by the director of an identified international strategic partner institution. In the latter case, an official acceptance letter from the host institution affiliated with CAS is required.
A copy of the applicant’s Curriculum Vita and photocopies of official documents certifying the education qualifications and awards (if any) of the applicant should be submitted as Appendixes to the Application Form.
All applications should be mailed by post in sealed envelopes to the Bureau of International Cooperation, CAS.
Please note that the application deadline is 15 September. Submissions received later than 15 September will NOT be processed.
Only applications submitted by the host institution or CAS-identified international partner institution are acceptable. Applications submitted directly by the applicants will NOT be accepted.
Incomplete/unsigned applications will NOT be accepted.
Applications will ONLY be acknowledged when processed.
For further inquiries, please contact
Dr. Ru Zhitao
Division of Comprehensive Management
Bureau of International Cooperation
Chinese Academy of Sciences
52 Sanlihe Road, Beijing 100864
Tel: +86-10-6859 7580